Crawford County Home
Home to Historic Metamora, Brookville Lake State Park and Mounds State Recreation Area, Franklin County can offer the tourist many splendid activities.
The village of Metamora is on land acquired in the Twelve Mile Purchase Treaty with the Indians. David Mount acquired the land in 1812. The first post office, established in 1826, was registered as "Duck Creek Crossing". In 1838 the name was changed to Metamora at the suggestion of Mrs. John Mason. Metamora was an Indian chief in a New York City play called "Metamora".
The Whitewater Canal Company was formed in 1826. After financial disaster in the state, the canal was completed with efforts of private citizens. In 1847, the Whitewater Canal was completed from Lawrenceburg to Hagerstown. It stretched for 76 miles, operated 56 locks and 7 feeder dams.
The Whitewater Valley Railroad Company purchased the canal in 1866. Tracks were laid on the towpath and the canal was allowed to deteriorate. In 1938, Alfred Brown and John P. Goodwin of Brookville and Walter Lowe, a Greensburg newspaper editor, formed the Whitewater Canal Association. They worked to have a section of the canal and the aqueduct restored. In 1947, the Indiana Department of Natural Resources created a state historic site.
In early 1960s the DNR began taking passengers on short canal trips through Duck Creek Aqueduct. Governor Otis Bowen dedicated the mill museum in 1973. The Whitewater Valley Canal and Railroad Restoration Association, Inc., leased a 25 mile route south of Connersville from Penn Central Station and began excursion passenger service in 1974.
For more information about this exciting Southern Indiana destination, contact:
Brookville/Franklin County Chamber of Commerce
Metamora Economic Development Corporation
Metamora Welcome Line
Historic Metamora, Inc.
Merchants Association of Metamora