Focus on St. Meinrad
St. Meinrad was originally built over a period of seven years, from 1900 to 1907. In 1997 a major renovation was completed.
The chapel houses a pipe organ (also rebuilt in 1997) that contains 3,844 pipes.
Most of the stained glass windows were made in Munich, Germany and were installed with the original building.
This new, four-sided alter features 17 gilded bronze panels, each expressing a specific theme.
St. Meinrad also has a guest house, a seminary, a monastery, and cemetery on the grounds. The St. Meinrad monks operate Abbey Press, which publishes religious material and gifts. They offer weekend retreats to the public. For more information, call 812-357-6611.
<back to Ohio River Scenic Route 'St. Meinrad' Page>